We had another year of 31+ days of decked out Halloween at our house. The highlight this year being a battery operated witch that hung outside our front door and cackled at every noise activation. Most kids were scared of it. One attacked it out of fear and broke part of the motion half way through the month. By the end of the month her cackler was breaking down and she settled for a stinted but loud and sharp "Ha!" at every loud noise. This was particularly funny when Aaron was chopping wood and got repeatedly laughed at with each swing.
Half way through the month Dad had a recruiting and interviewing trip to BYU and I put in for a ride up so we could get away for a few days and see family. The girls had fun carving pumpkins with McKay and decorating cookies with grandma, among other fun with family.
Addie was excited to be star of the week at kindergarten. She loves school. They studied the rainforest and she took in an album of pictures that grandma sent from her trip to the Amazon. That was a hit. Then they studied bats and now, dinosaurs! All our friends and family agree her school picture is "so Addie." She especially reveled in a very scary costume this year. She made most of her friends nervous. She has been planning that since last year; and though I am not at liberty to disclose it, she already has a plan for next year. Quinn informed me, "Enoch wants to be a box next year."
Quinn and Enoch both started a Kindermusik class this month. I was hesitant about it, but they absolutely love it. Enoch steals the show with his enthusiasm and cheerfulness; to say nothing of his cheesy grin. In fact, that is kind of the name of his game wherever we go.
If people don't fawn over him at the store he repeatedly calls out, "hi! Hi! HI!" until they acknowledge him. When they do fawn, he gives them an unemotional stare for a few minutes driving them to increase the level of gushing until it is at a truly humiliating level for public display. Then just when he has them where he wants them, he flashes that cheesy grin as if to say, 'jokes on you fool!"
I have to acknowledge that we are making progress with him and shopping though. The girls were always great shoppers and I foolishly thought it was because I was such a great mom! HA! Then along came Enoch.
He obviously couldn't walk the aisles freely: too much independence fostered in the unsupervised 3rd child.
He couldn't ride in the designated child seat because he can houdini out of the straps then dramatically stands up slowly saying, "whoa! whoa! whoa!" louder and louder as he slowly stands up with arms spread wide. It's totally a show and all the passing by shoppers think I am such an irresponsible mom.
The last resort was in the basket. The problem here was threefold:
1. he sat, stamped and squashed everything. Including bouncing on the bag of chips.
2. he opened things I didn't know he could open and proceeded to feast. or
3. He 'unloaded' everything over the sides of the cart faster than I could pick them back up.
His latest shopping skill is a bit more manageable, but is still heading me for disaster: he uses everything in the cart to build the highest possible tower. I'm getting really creative about getting to the store without him.
Aaron's adventure this month was a successful hike from rim to river to rim. Our friends Aaron and Annika Lovell paid us a visit and the boys hiked South Kaibab - Bright Angel on Saturday. Meanwhile the girls had a party the way only girls can. We went especially out of control making flower hair clips. I'm pretty sure Addie had about 30 lined up for us to glue. We cut her off after about 20.
She meticulously does her hair by herself every morning. We were running late the other morning (wait, that is every morning for us), and her dad called her down to breakfast. She said she would be right down after she fixed her hair. When she had used up 13 of the only 15 minutes she had I went up to 'help out' and speed things along. Instead I was told, "stop! mom! everywhere you touch you are messing it up!" I couldn't believe this was my 5 year old and not a 15 year old. So I retreated, concluding it probably wasn't a big deal to be late....again.
Mommy Anecdote: make what you will of my day by this summary of our family's debut at the ward trunk or treat: I don't sign up or bring anything for the dinner, I forgot a can for the food drive, I didn't wear a costume myself, and we parked on the back side of the church and snuck over to the trunk or treat without contributing; then we left early. Life is full of give and take. Maybe next time. (sorry to any ward members who read this and realize how much we took advantage of them!)
October Chronicles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
So, I was just reading your blog and thought I'd see if I knew anyone else on your list. I popped into Camille's blog and she has a big congratulations to you on your pregnancy/girl. How exciting and congratulations.
Wow, Addie is getting so big! And you can tell her I was scared too!
It's so fun to watch your family grow.
What!?! You're pregnant? Congrats you sneaky girl! Loved catching up and hearing all about the Hopkinsons. We sure miss you!
Wow, Tiff, I can't believe your kids are so big! When was the last time we even saw each other? Next time you are in town... or I happen to be in Flagstaff...CALL me! Congrats on the pregnancy- that is great! You make such cute kids. And you always have so much fun!
Cute pics Tiff!! I too can hardly believe how grown up your kids are. Addie especially. Her kindergarten picture is great. I love your story about shopping with Enoch, that is hilarious. Makes me a bit nervous about what to expect with Calvin though! Boys are certainly different!!
Post a Comment